Child Protection Unit
A BRIEF OUTLINE OF DISTRICT CHILD PROTECTION UNIT: NALBARI
THE DISTRICT CHILD PROTECTION UNIT (DCPU) is a fundamental unit in the district for implementation of Integrated Child Protection Scheme and is responsible to coordinate all Child Protection activities in the district.
Present location of DCPU Nalbari: Office of the District Child Protection Officer cum Probation Officer, Nalbari
Rajnagar, Ward No: 11 (near circuit house),
P.O. Kazipara, Nalbari- 781341.
DCPU works with the Following Act:
- THE JUVENILE JUSTICE (Care & Protection )ACT,2015
- PROTECTION of CHILD from SEXUAL OFFENCES (POCSO),2012
- PROHIBITION of CHILD MARRIAGE ACT, 2006
- CHILD and ADOLESCENT LABOUR (prohibition & regulation) Act, 1986
The INTEGRATED CHILD PROTECTION SCHEME (ICPS) is implemented by the Central Govt. to implement the provisions of the JUVENILE JUSTICE (Care and Protection of children) Act, 2015 (JJ Act).The ICPS is a centrally sponsored scheme aimed at building an effective and efficient child protection system. The ICPS is based on the cardinal principles of Protection of Child Rights and best interest of the children. The scheme is developed to improve the well-being of children in difficult circumstances as well as to help prevent abuse, neglect, exploitation, abandonment and separation of children from their families. Proposed in 2006 and implemented in 2009, the ICPS is administered at the state level by State Child Protection Society and at the district level by District Child Protection Unit.
- Foster care: it is an arrangement in which the child usually lives with on a temporary basis with an extended or unrelated family member when parents are unable to take care of them due to sickness or other crisis. Who can opt Foster Care:
- Ability iii. Capacity
- Intent iv. Prior experience of taking care of children
- Sponsorship: It provides financial support to children to meet educational, medical, nutritional needs of children to improve the quality of their lives. The categories are:
- Widow / divorced/abandoned mother
- Child is orphan and living with extended family
- Parents suffering from life threatening disease
- Incapacitated parents
- Adoption: it aims to provide a child who cannot be cared for his biological parents with a permanent substitute family.
Sarothi: A child care institution to shelter and in house children in need of care and protection referred by CWC up to 18 years to provide shelter, education, medical needs, food and other basic amenities.
Specialized adoption Agency (SAA): An adoption agency runned by NGO (GVM) for children up to 6 years of age.
Observation Home: Situated in BOKO, Kamrup district, Children in conflict with law are in housed referred by JJB.
*The child care institutions are registered under JJAct 2015